Tuesday 24 April 2012

A to Z 1950s/60s Nostalgia: U

U Smell:
Underarms - Although roll-on deodorants have been around for well over 100 years, it wasn't usual for men to wear deodorant in the 50s and so I give you my U smell! Gasp!

U Memories:
Uncle Mac's Children's Favourites - Every week we'd sit by the radio and listen to Uncle Mac saying, "Hello, children everywhere." I've so many favourite songs from that programme that I'm having trouble listing them all out. So I've selected my favourite top ten:
  1. I’m a Pink Toothbrush, you’re a Blue Toothbrush [we met by the bathroom door...]
  2. The Ugly Duckling [with feathers all stubby and brown...]
  3. Me and my Teddy Bear [got no worries got no cares...]
  4. I tawt I saw a puddy tat [a creepin up on me...]
  5. The Runaway Train [and she blew, wee-ooo...]
  6. Nellie the Elephant [packed her trunk and said, “goodbye!” to the circus...]
  7. The Three Billy Goats Gruff [I’m a troll, foll-de-roll...]
  8. The King’s New Clothes [look at the King, the King, the King, oh...]
  9. Bimbo [Bimbo where you gonna go-e-o...]
  10. Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer [Katzellen Bogen by the sea-ee-ee-ee...]
...and now I recommend that [after you've finished reading my post and adding some memories of your own, of course] you go over to the Children's Favourites site. You can hear the original introduction music and read the lyrics of the many, many songs that were played by Uncle Mac.


Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire
wearing the infamous T-shirt... phwah!
Underwear - There are so many differences between 50s/60s underwear and the under-garments we wear today, a result of fashion, fabric technology and changing views on modesty.

Corsets and Stockings: Women wore corsets that not only held their stomachs in firmly but also provided the suspenders to hold up their stockings. When I was about 11 Mum bought me a tiny suspender belt and it was the most uncomfortable piece of underwear I’ve ever worn.

Panties: Most ladies pants before the 2nd world war were large and white and no one expected to see them in public. After the war, panties became more colourful. In 1955 an Italian tennis player, Lea Pericol, caused a sensation at Wimbledon when spectators saw her lacy panties.

Vests: Pre-1950 T-shirts were an item of men’s underwear. In 1951 Marlon Brando wore a T-shirt in A Streetcar Named Desire and began a fashion trend... but only for men!


U Programmes:
On TV:
Robert Vaughn and David McCallum in The Man from UNCLE
Man from UNCLE
Up Pompeii

On Radio:
Under Milk Wood

U Names:
Peter Ustinov
Union Gap
Gary U.S. Bonds who provides the...

U Music:
Gary U.S. Bonds singing Quarter to Three and just look at that 'groovy' dancing!


Another tough letter. Do you have any more Us?

If you're enjoying these memories then you should go and visit 
Anne Mackle's blog at Is Anyone There? Her A to Z Challenge is about memories of the 1960s and 70s.