Writing is my passion. I have been writing professionally since last century. My most proud achievement to date is my Masters in Creative Writing with distinction from the University of Leicester in 2018.
I used to be a teacher in the days when I was called Ros Kloos (and the school kids called me Inspector Kloos-eau). I miss those kids with their quick wit and passion for life but teaching took its toll, especially all that paperwork. I still occasionally visit schools. I give talks about Richard III (and try to sell a few copies of The Children's Book of Richard III while I'm at it).
My writing is fuelled by my love of history (my first degree was in history). There are so many fascinating events from the past that are tucked away inside dusty books waiting for a chance to talk once more. The idea for my MA dissertation came from an article in a very old edition of History Today magazine.
Over the last ten years I've been involved with Heritage Funded projects recording and writing about the lives of older people in the community and researching past lives from the local Jewish cemetery. Like I said, history and writing are inextricably linked.
- Lives Behind the Stones, a Heritage Lottery Funded research project creating a website with information about Leicester's Jewish cemetery, researched stories of lives 'behind the stones' and a database providing full genealogical search facilities. 2015
- Children's Book of Richard III, The Reading Shop Oadby, July 2014, ISBN 978-0-99293-020-2
- Children’s History of Leicester, Hometown World Publishers, May 2011, ISBN 978-1849931496
- Bathtime Rap, Picture book, Franklin Watts, 2008, ISBN 970-0-7496-7951-4
- Jewish Voices, A collection of reminiscences and history of a community affected by World War II, Heritage Lottery Funded, 2009
- The 1950s Menu, Yours Yearbook 2010
- Bathtime Rap poster and musical rap feature, the Scholastic Nursery Education PLUS Magazine, October 2009
- The work behind the project: Jewish Voices, NAWE Quart. No. 48 Summer 2009
- With Two Hats On: therapeutic writing workshops, Lapidus Quart. Autumn 2007
- Birds' Eye View; taking part in the bird count, The Lady August/September 1999
- 12 short stories published in Yours, Woman's Weekly, Bella, Best, Take a Break, Chat and My Weekly from 1998 to 2002.
- Creative writing tutor
- Writing workshop leader
- Primary and secondary school teacher
- Masters in Creative Writing with distinction at University of Leicester 2017 to 2018
- History degree BA (Hons) 2:2 at University of Leicester 1979 to 1981
- Post-graduate certificate in education at University of Leicester School of Education 1982
- Adult tutor certificate
- Certificate in Counselling skills