Friday, 22 July 2016

Richard III in stained glass...

...and highly detailed pictures


When I was a child I always took a book to bed with me. I didn't always read the words. Sometimes I just looked at the pictures. There was one book in particular, British Wild Flowers, that was a favourite. I still have the book. It has a green hardback cover and colour plates every few pages.

In those days books were mainly black and white. Colour pages were printed on a different paper and, I suspect, expensive to reproduce. I would turn to one of these colour plates and examine it in minute detail. I don't remember ever putting the book down so it must have been a most effective method of lulling myself to sleep.

This was one of the pages that helped me enjoy many a peaceful night:



On a completely different subject but still talking about detailed pictures, Daughter came to visit this week and we went to Leicester Cathedral to see Richard III's tomb - she couldn't come to Leicester without seeing it, now could she!

Two new stained glass windows have appeared since I last visited the Cathedral. They are designed by Thomas Denny and are on the wall beside the tomb. They depict all aspects of Richard III's life, death and subsequent rediscovery. These photographs don't do them justice. Just like my colour photos from my old nature book, these are the kind of windows that, no matter how many times you look at them, you keep seeing new things.

(Thanks to Hilary Melton-Butcher from Positive Letters ... Inspirational Stories for cropped versions of the following photographs. I was having trouble editing them and she came to my rescue.)







Do you have any favourite pictures or photos that can be looked at an infinite number of times and each time new things jump out at you?



14 comments:

  1. Yes! I have an old picture album that used to belong to my grandmother. I loved it as a child, and still love it today. The mostly sepia photos of long-lost kilt-wearing ancestors still mesmerize me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, sepia photos are fascinating. I've blogged about them in the past.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ros - I remember those sorts of books - and very possibly we had the Flower book. Wonderful stained glass windows - I'm looking forward sometime to seeing them ... along with Richard's tomb. I've always loved stained glass ... brings back memories from Cornwall ... and still fascinates me - from the windows at Canterbury, to those in Durham Cathedral ...

    So pleased you and daughter were able to get out to the Cathedral ... I use a snipping tool (it's desperately easy to use) and then resave - but I suspect the way I get my photos into blogger is different ... as I save my pictures first having found them wherever ... and then choose them for my blog post ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the help with the photos. Looking forward to actually meeting one day!

      Delete
  3. Oh my travel photos ... I can drool over those for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Jo, because your travel photos are so much more interesting than mine!!

      Delete
  4. I agree with JO - travel photos do the trick. I also enjoy art books - I have a huge one on the Vatican Art. I bought it after my trip to Italy and have been studying it ever since. Nice post and thanks to Hilary for helping you on the stained glass pics - excellent. I hope I can see them in person some today. (and maybe we can grab a bite to eat!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had better let me know when you intend to arrive in our lovely City, Joanne. I will take you on a personal tour of it all.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ros - so glad I could help .. in my simple techie way! They are certainly larger and I'd love to see them close up ... and in person. Thanks for the shout out ...

    Cheers ... as I look out over the English Channel - and suddenly the huge foggy mist bank that's been rolling in and around all day - has disappeared ...

    Well if you and Joanne meet up - I'll be there! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you must come up if Joanne visits...or even if she doesn't and thanks again.

      Delete
  6. How lovely! Both the book and the windows! My favourite images are of my travels, both past and present, but I used to love looking at Arthur Rackham illustrations. They could keep me busy for hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those wonderful fairy folk type of drawings. Thanks for reminding me about them, Val. I shall call some up on Google.

      Delete
  7. Lovely. There is a rose window in St Albans abbey - which, when the sun shines through. is just magical. Little G and I like visiting it to stand and stare up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The times you have with Little G are so precious. You're very lucky, Carol. I must visit St Albans Abbey. It sounds lovey.

      Delete