Thursday, 6 November 2014

4 a.m.

I read recently that the mind can heal itself naturally, just like the body does, but that this healing takes place mainly at night. This is worrying. I’ve mentioned before about the problems I have not only getting to sleep but staying asleep. Last night it was 4 a.m. when I woke. My mind was filled with thoughts and I suspected that going back to sleep would be an unlikely event. I was right.

So what do you do when you're awake in the middle of the night? I sometimes write poems in my head...

Waking at four in the morning’s all wrong
And counting sheep can drive you mad.
I sometimes try going through words of a song
But the ones I know best are too sad.

They say you should get up and make a hot drink
But with two cats there’s really no way.
They insist on their breakfast and unfairly think
I should instantly kick-start their day.

So I lie very still and I wait for the light
And I watch the dark fading away.
Only then, when I've banished the thoughts from the night,
Can I throw myself into the day.

(Don't worry. I'll feel better after a good night's sleep :-)






11 comments:

  1. Interesting you write poetry - I read it! I do the making-a-hot-drink thing, then sit up in bed and read poetry. I'm half way through a collection of Houseman at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a therapeutic and sensible way of passing the time.

      Delete
  2. sorry your mind is too active and wants to be awake. But it created a good poem. Sounds like a nap might be necessary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. The only problem with napping is that you run the risk of not being able to sleep the following night!

      Delete
  3. I've been waking at 4am just lately too. And you're completely right - particularly about the cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! It's a horrible time of the night, isn't it.

      Delete
  4. The wee small hours are awful
    but if I hear the words of a song
    it's because the darn things won't leave me alone -
    now that in itself is all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wake around 3 o'clock, but I definitely don't have your creativity for writing poetry! Maybe I should try it. I usually drink some water and generally nod off pretty quickly again. If not, I read. The trouble is the dreams! After I've woken, they tend to be full of all the things I'm anxious about - usually being late for a class or losing my bag. I wake up exhausted most days! No wonder I find it so hard to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh 4am ..that sounds familiar! I very seldom sleep through the night, and now am going to the bathroom and then getting straight back to sleep. But for three months before my daughter's wedding earlier this year I was awake for about 3 hours each night. Lists, things to do, things I'd forgotten both at home and work....ooh, they all kept me wake.

    But now we have three puppies, I can't go downstairs to make myself a drink,. otherwise they would be barking for some attention. I just lie there.....and as for poetry....no thanks! But I like your poem Ros!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ros - yes I too wake - but I've learnt not to get up ... so just turn over and make myself comfortable ... turn on the radio - mistake as those interesting programmes keep me further awake - but I do fall asleep and then want to stay asleep!!

    Lovely poem ... and hope you can find a good night's sleep ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This happens to me too Ros and if I wake up I can't get back to sleep. My dog has started waking up during the night and crying to go out. Once I've got up and let him out I just can't sleep, Sometimes my mind is on overdrive and I think about every stupid idea under the sun. I think it's the ageing process.

    ReplyDelete