Thursday, 2 October 2014

A Poem for National Poetry Day

My poems are often a tad light and fluffy but I thought I'd share this piece of free-verse with you. I'm always a bit wary of free-style poetry. I'm not good at writing without rules, so please don't be too judgemental. It's my offering for this year's National Poetry Day:

Sins of the Wedding Feast

Pride
The bride’s father beams                                                 
Contented guests
Real champagne
Smoked salmon canap├ęs
Nothing but the best for his princess.

Lust
The best man drools
Her moist pink lips
Cream skin glimpsed
Beneath white lace
He’d have made a much better husband.

Greed
The groom fidgets
Lost appetite
Yet aches to feast
Upon her body
They’ll go once the speeches are over.

Envy
The bridesmaid pouts
Sees herself
At the alter
A man in tow
If only someone would ask her.

Gluttony
Cousin Albert gorges
Pies and puddings
Wine and lager
A bulging belly
You can’t let good food go to waste.

Wrath
Aunt Amelia tuts
Sat at the back
With the Smiths
What a disgrace
Who is responsible for this seating plan?

Sloth
The bride languishes
No more work
A monthly allowance
Cleaners, a gardener
She’s got a man to look after her now


12 comments:

  1. Hi Ros ... as L says .. very true - what a fascinating read ... Good for you - excellent expression from various points of view. Also good to remember Poetry Day ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. I think it's a great idea to have a National Poetry Day. It should be turned into a Bank Holiday with everyone trying their hand at writing something poetic.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a grim wedding that was - and haven't we all been to some of those.

    But not all are like that - some are full of music and dancing and general happiness because two magical people want to spend their lives together. Ok, so it doesn't happen that often ... but I'm having a glass-half-full day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, not all weddings are like that, Jo, but this was meant to be a take on the seven deadly sins.

      Delete
  3. I think I was at that wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I do hope not! I believe it ended with a police raid!!!

      Delete
  4. you captured the scene and characters perfectly. I toast you with a glass of bubbly

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very clever venture into free verse, Ros, though an extremely jaundiced view of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know much about free verse, or poetry at all for that matter, but I thought this was very cleverly crafted, Ros and you have captured moods and emotions so well. Gosh, how present those deadly sins can be without us even noticing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete